Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Softball and Valentines

I got back from Ouagadougou yesterday. I was there for the Softball Fanatics Weekend Tournament (Sofanwet). It was pretty fun, all things considered. I played on the Sahel Suns Social team. We didn't do so well in the tournament - out of 3 games we only won one... But somebody has to lose, so it might as well be a team who can take it well. The team that won second place was from the American School here in Niamey, and I have several friends there. I was really proud of them with how well they did - they haven't won a trophy in 3 years, or something like that. They were really happy, and if you know me, it was hard to not be happy for them. The social game didn't really matter all that much in the end, though. There are two divisions in the tournament - social and competitive, and our Competitive team WON! It was an amazing Final game, and the guys totally pulled it together to beat the other Niamey competitive team, the Nomads. YEY SAHEL SUNS!

While we were in Ouaga, Valentines Day came around... Ah, the joys of Valentines Day - if you have a BOYFRIEND!!! I've never been one for the whole Valentines thing... it seems so superficial to me most of the time. I don't even give valentines to my friends anymore. But this year was different... it seemed like so many friends of mine were making valentines for their 'someone special'. It was really weird to watch... my friends have boyfriends and girlfriends! But even weirder was the fact that I wished I had someone to make a valentine for... or that someone would make one for me. Haha, I guess what they say is true - it really is Singles Awareness Day! Seriously though, I will admit to feeling more than just a twinge of jealousy as cards were passed. I got one valentine from my best friend Tam, and that was sweet n all... but she's my best friend. Not quite the same.

Besides these two events happening at the same time... they are connected. Why should I skirt the subject? Yes... there is someone that I wish I was getting a valentine from... and he was playing in the tournament. So there. I'm being honest. And in all honesty, I'm beginning to really bug myself with this whole thing of liking him. Because (cough, cough), he already has a girlfriend. And it's impossible to ignore. And it drives me crazy. And I really really wish I was her. Grr. I just told a friend of mine this weekend about me liking this guy... She was really surprised! She said, "Wow, it must be hard to watch them all the time." I said yeah... because it is! I just try to live with it. Then she said something that really surprised ME! "You're so nice about it!"...uh... is there another option? I suppose there is, but I've never stopped to think about it. I really don't think that there would be another option for me. Both the guy and girl in the relationship are good friends of mine, and I wouldn't want to ruin that just so I can grab a guy.

I suppose I'll just have to wait it out - what else can I do? Someday it will be me getting the valentine - I know it.

No comments: