Monday, January 5, 2009

Lee's Redemption

Alright, so one of my readers has commented rather negatively on my negative thoughts of General Lee in The Killer Angels. Well, no offense was intended. I don't really like his character in the book, which says nothing about his leadership or influence on the Civil War. I do think of him as a very admirable man, and I do respect him as an American, soldier, and leader.
I have watched the movie Gettysburg, and it does redeem Lee's character in the book a bit, but I still dislike him. Gettysburg was an excellent movie, and I enjoyed it once I was able to get the characters straight. One of the things I think that turns me off about Lee so much is the amount of devotion he has from his troops. Yes, it is incredible that his soldiers would love him that much, but to me it seems like they're worshiping a god when they're with Lee. Lawrence Chamberlain makes an interesting comment in the book: "There is nothing so quite like God as a general on the battlefield." This is almost contradicted by the way troops treat Lee - There is nothing so quite like God as a general surrounded by loving soldiers. They see a savior in Lee - this is unrealistic. They see a god-figure in Lee, so they idolize him. Idolize... interesting how deep that word is but how shallow of a term it's come to mean.
I hope this has made my view clearer... feel free to comment.

4 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

*doesn't know what to comment *
YAY, SHE'S ALIVE!
Well, I dunno what to think about Lee. History books have said that he was a nice christian person and all, but...hrmf.

Anonymous said...

well. i am an avid reader of the chansurecan blog and i believe that you need some new material!

let us hear what you have to say!

Philip Knowlton said...

*comments*

Unknown said...

Hello. Your blog is good. I have a blog and I would like you visit the blog from the very beautiful Niger. Sorry for my English. The blog called Pole Position Force India and the web is www.polepositionforceindia.blogspot.com
Put a comment in my blog, but do not understand Spanish. Bye bye! Greetings from Spain.