Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Killer Angels

So I've had to read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara for my English class. It's actually a pretty good book - it just takes a bit to get into. But the detail and imagery in it is amazing, and you get drawn into the battles and the thoughts of the characters. It's a book about the Battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War and it looks at both sides of the conflict. It's interesting - you begin the book with initial thoughts about what characters you will and won't like, and by the end you really really dislike some of them! I personally HATE General Lee... he's so passive and nonemotional. And it totally bugs me how his troops worship the ground he walks on. It's disgusting.

Ok, I'm not really sure why I'm writing about my English homework, but I figure it's more fun that actually DOING the work right now. =) I'm sick of work. I'm sick of a lot of things. *SIGH* I'm really ready for Christmas break. Thankfully that's really close. Wednesday is the last day of school, and we'll have the final assembly, and THAT'S IT!!! YEY!!!

PLUS! it's really exciting! My Uncle Doug, Aunt Debbie, and cousins Kaitlyn and Kendra are all coming here to Niamey on TUESDAY!!! (Please God, let their luggage get here with them...) I totally cannot wait to see them! It's going to be hilarious - my cousins are both kinda girly, and they've never left the North American continent. They are going to have such major culture shock - and I can't wait to watch it! Haha! I'm not very nice am I? =) Oh well, we're going to have a blast!!!

Thursday morning 27 people are all going down south to the National Parc W. It's the game park that goes through parts of Niger, Benin, and Burkina Faso. We go down there on our own personal 'safari' if you want to call it that. =) There aren't really enough animals to call it a safari, but that's ok. We sit on the roof-rack of our truck, and drive for hours together and have a ton of fun! The place we go camping is really fun too - there are rock outcroppings you can go climb on and it's right by the river so sometimes we go swimming. It's cold season right now (and as I say that, it's in the 90's outside... but it gets cold at night) so we're gonna freeze sleeping in tents there!

My family is going (all 9 of us including the family from the states), my friend Trae's (the guy I tricked with the switched DVDs) family is going, and their family who is visiting from the states too (10 of them), Mr. Chamberlain and his son Chris (Jessie's dad and brother... see post below), and Chris is inviting Ryan and Justin too. Then the Gillespies, a couple who teaches at my school, is coming and they're bringing Mr. Meade, the math teacher. So... that makes 27! Wow. =) It's going to be awesome! I'll blog about it when we get back on Saturday... maybe. Anyways, I'll blog about it! With pictures of course!!! =)

Oh yeah!!! My friend NAOMI is coming back to Niger from England TOO! This Christmas is going to ROCK!!!

4 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Ew. *threatens Lee with fishslapper *
Yah...I'm sick of doing things too!
*laughs * My name is really close to Kaitlyn and my dad's name is Doug...
But I's not girly and I's a world traveler. :D
Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun!! :D :D

Anonymous said...

Your post made me sad. My great, great grandfather was in the 54th Georgia Infantry during the War. Southern troops worshipped Lee because he cared about them, was a Christian man who set a good example, and he never spared himself anything he asked of his troops. He never acted if he was better than they were.

I was an Officer in the Marine Corps for many, many years. I saw combat and I always used Lee as an example for myself. I knew I would never be the man he was but I tried to be.

Chantelle said...

I'm sorry my post made you sad, Hermit. That's just the way I ended up perceiving his character from the book. You'll have to read it yourself to make your own analysis. I'd recommend it! Trust me, it was not meant to bash Lee, just expressing my opinion of the book. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Anonymous said...

June, I've read the book. It was required in a course on Southern history I took to renew my teaching credential. Maybe if you could get the video "Gettysburg" which is based on "The Killer Angels", it might amplify the character of Robert E. Lee. The movie was well done and they tried to be fair to both sides.

I taught 5th Graders for 3 years in public schools, and in Georgia part of the course of study at that age is the War Between the States. I also have a considerable interest in it, since I had numerous family members from my mother and fathers sides who were in the Confederate army.

No need to apologize, it's your blog! I'm just a guest.

Enjoy the Holidays, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.