Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless the USA

When I was in 7th grade... oh so many ages ago... I was in the dance elective at my public middle school in California. I loved the class so much, and the greatest part of it was the Semester recital. We got to choreograph our own dance and perform it in front of the school. Four other girls and myself chose the song 'God Bless the USA' by Jump5. Yeah, if you know anything about Jump5, that's pretty hysterical right now! And it totally shows off my tweeny-bopper style of music too. We didn't really 'dance' to this song, instead we did one of the ribbon choreography dances. We had the really long ribbons on sticks and came up with moves that fit the words. We practiced for hours and so many class periods. The day of the performance came and it went well... it was really scary being in front of the whole school like that, especially my middle school! But the song always brings back nostalgia and I love the words to this day...

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me
Now I'll proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today
Because there ain't no doubt I love this land
GOD BLESS THE USA"

I look at this day in history, and I don't like it any more than the next conservative Christian. But then I also have to think that God is in control. He knew Obama was going to win all the while... even before any ballots were cast, or before the presidential race even started. God knew, and God's made his plans around it, so why should we worry about it? God will bless those who he choses. And no matter what he decides to do, our prayer should still be that God blesses our country. He has in the past - why wouldn't he in the future? God has promised that when two or three come together in his name he hears their voices - how could he ignore a whole nation calling out for his blessings? Especially calling out for his blessings, despite their thoughts or feelings on who the president is.

God is not deaf.

I disagree with what Barak Obama stands for, but I take comfort in the fact (yes FACT) that God knows better than we do what will come out of these next four or eight years. God is good. All the time.

On my online website, the chaplian posts a new devotional every day. I loved what he put up today.

~~~
Romans 13:1-2 (NIV) Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
The United States has just elected a new President. This election has seen the largest turnout of voters in United States history, and both sides have been very passionate about their candidate. The verses above do not give us any room to take political sides though. They do not mention personalities or political viewpoints. As always, the Scripture cuts to the core of the issue.
Scripture's interest is in the authority behind the person, the investment of God in a leader to govern people that ultimately belong to Him.
Pray for the leaders of your nation. Make sure that your words and your actions acknowledge the God-invested authority of those leaders.
~~~

God Bless the USA

5 comments:

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Amen and Amen!!! :)
(:

Philip Knowlton said...

Last night I told God that I knew that he could make McCain win, but regardless of who won, that I knew he would use them to his glory, and then I quit worrying about it.

Anonymous said...

Strange to see your blog. My wife grew up in the same town in Niger you are in. She was a missionaries daughter. Her mom and dad spent twenty years there.

She is at her mom's tonight, but when she gets home tomorrow I will show her your blog.

Mrs. K's Lemonade Stand said...

You are right! God is the real one in charge.

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Otay Chan! I tagged you, you have to blog now!